This mod adds in five new types of chests, which will help you out in a few different ways. The first one I’ll be going over is the Networked Chest, which acts a lot like the Ender Chest except it’ll give you nearly infinite networks to work with (not sure if it’s truly infinite, like the thread says.) You just have to name the network, which you do when you place the chest down, and it’ll give you a network with that name. Each chest that shares a network name shares an inventory. You’re also able to set passwords on the Networked Chest.
The next chest I’ll go over is the Tools Chest. This chest lets you store anything inside of it, but it will repair anything with a durability (I believe it will repair mod-added items, as well.) It may seem a little over-powered, but it does require two blocks of diamond to make. It repairs itself at roughly 1 durability every 3~5 seconds.
The Smelting Chest will smelt any ores you put into it. Sadly, unlike the next chest I’ll talk about, it only gives a 1:1 ratio of ores:ingots. It’s kind of like a downgraded version of it that require blaze rods rather than a silk touch pickax.
The Ores Chest will automatically smelt your items with a much higher rate than a furnace. It requires no fuel source, but to get the materials you do need a pickax with silk touch, as it needs redstone, lapis, diamond, and coal ore. It’s a bit of a pain to make, but it does give a higher ore output, which can be nice if you keep that silk touch pick repaired. I don’t find this too overpowered, since you do need silk touch.
The Grabber Chest will suck any items up that touch it and store them. If it’s full it’ll pop it out under the chest. You could easily use these for an automated mob grinder with quite a lot of storage.
A picture of all of the chests side by side:
(Left to right: Networked, Tools, Ores, Grabber, Smelter)
A video with all of the recipes for the chests:
Utility Chests Mod for Minecraft 1.7.2 and 1.6.4 Main Features
- Nearly infinite amount of storage with the Networked Chest
- Somewhat free tool repair with the Tools Chest
- Increased smelting output with the Ores Chest
- The Grabber Chest, which picks up items
- The Smelter Chest, which does the same thing as the ores chest, but less output
Utility Chests Mod for Minecraft 1.7.2 and 1.6.4 Pros and Cons
- Five new chests which do awesome things
- There are mods out there which do a lot of this much better, but they’re more complex than this. Pick your poison, I guess.
Utility Chests Mod Version 2.3.4 for Minecraft 1.7.2 and 1.6.4 Changelog
- Updated for 1.7.2 and 1.6.4
- Added de-enchanting chest
How to Install the Utility Chests Mod for Minecraft 1.7.2 and 1.6.4
- Install Minecraft Forge
- Download the Utility Chests Mod
- Drag the zip file into your mods folder
- Run Minecraft and enjoy.