Okay, before you continue reading this post. I want to ask you this question “Do you ever install Minecraft Mods or Texture Packs?”. If the answer is yes, then you don’t have to read this. This is only for newbie who want to install Mod and Texture Packs.
What is Minecraft.jar ?
I don’t want to go in detail, just make it simple for you guys. Minecraft.jar is a main system file for Minecraft game. Every files that put in there will effect the game.
Where is Minecraft.jar ?
Minecraft.jar is located in Minecraft directory, but Minecraft directory for Windows and Mac is located in different folder. Here how you can get to it…
- Find minecraft.ajr in Windows
- Click Start Menu (lower left corner)
- Then go to Run
- Type in %appdata%
- There will be a window popup, browse in there you should find a minecraft folder
- Go inside minecraft folder, then go into bin folder
- Now you should see minecraft.jar
- Find minecraft.jar in MAC
- Open Finder.app
- Click “Go” in menubar
- Then choose “Go to folder…”
- Type in “~/Library/Application Support/Minecraft/bin” (without quotes)
- Enter and see it yourself
How to open Minecraft.jar
- Open minecraft.jar in Windows
- Download 7Zip or WinRAR
- Right-click at minecraft.jar
- Hover on “Open with..”
- Choose the program either WinRAR or 7Zip
- Drag mod files from other folder into the WinRar or 7Zip that you already opened the minecraft.jar
- That’s all
- Open minecraft.jar in MAC
- Go to Applications > Utilities
- Open up the terminal app
- Type in (without quotes) “cd ~” Enter – (Explanation: Browse to User Root folder)
- Type in (without quotes) “mkdir mctmp” Enter – (Explanation: Make a directory name “mctmp”)
- Type in (without quotes) “cd mctmp” Enter – (Explanation: Go to into mctpmp folder)
- Type in (without quotes) “jar xf ~/Library/Application\ Support/minecraft/bin/minecraft.jar” Enter – (Explanation: Get Minecraft.jar and extract it to mctmp folder)
- In Finder, copy all the files and folders into mctmp directory that you have created in by Terminal command.
- Back to Terminall app, type in “rm META-INF/MOJANG_C.*” (Explanation: Delete META-INF/MOJANG_C.* file)
- Then type “jar uf ~/Library/Application\ Support/minecraft/bin/minecraft.jar ./” – (Explanation: Compress everything and put back to minecraft.jar)
- And “./ cd .. rm -rf mctmp” – (Explanation: Delete mctmp folder)